This is one of my favorite recipes I grew up eating but adapted to a vegan diet. If you’re like me and love the crust, use a shallow casserole dish so there’s as much crust as possible. If you are gluten free, just substitute gluten-free pasta and bread crumbs.
1 tsp coconut oil
1 box of pasta (shells, tubes, anything that holds sauce well)
1 tsp salt
1 tbs flour (rice flour if gluten free)
1 tbs butter (Earth Balance)
1 1/2 cups nut milk (Almond, Cashew, or Walnut)
1 tsp rosemary (fresh is better)
1 tbs fresh ground mustard
1 tsp sage
1 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/8 cup vegan parmesan (or yeast flakes)
- Preheat the over to 350 (400 if you are short on time). Grease a casserole dish with coconut oil (or any other oil alternative).
- Boil a large pot of water and add a teaspoon of salt. Add pasta and follow directions on box.
- Slice cheese into half inch cubes. Set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, melt butter in a small pot on medium heat. Add flour and stir vigorously until all lumps are gone.
- Add milk and herbs. Turn up the heat to medium-high and stir occasionally until the sauce bubbles.
- Let it bubble for about a minute, then slowly add the cheese. Stir until melted, then turn to low.
- Strain the pasta and pour into casserole dish. Pour cheese sauce over the top.
- Prepare the topping by combining the breadcrumbs and vegan parmesan (or yeast flakes). Mix well, then pour over the pasta.
- Cook at 350 for 40 minutes, until the cheese sauce bubbles and turns a nice brown color. If you are short on time, cook for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.