I grew up eating blueberry and peach cobblers every summer when after our yearly pilgrimage to the Carolina beaches. I’ve experimented with multiple recipes, both vegan and adapted from traditional, and finally found a great combination that satisfies the southern palette.
Berry Ingredients: (I recommend doing this an hour or even half a day before hand to let everything merry and get sweeter)
2 containers of berries (I like blackberries and blueberries)
1/3 cup of sugar
2 tbs of flour
1 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup of steel ground oats
Pinch of cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup or a stick of very cold butter (earth balance)
1/4 nut milk or water (because I ran out, and water ended up being an okay substitute)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix berry ingredients and set aside or in fridge for 30 minutes to half a day.
- Mix the dry batter ingredients (including the oats).
- Add soy milk.
- Fold in very cold butter.
- Fill a casserole dish or ramekins about 2/3 of the way with the berry mixture.
- Top with dollops of batter.
- Brush with butter and sprinkle with sugar.
- Cook for 45 minutes or until golden brown.